Friday, January 22, 2010

Manage Your Checkbook Using Excel

Join GeekyClown's Fan Page on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter

My New Year's resolution this year was to do a better job of managing my checkbook instead of going off of the bank's Web site. The way that I figured I would do this is create

a simple Excel spreadsheet that would do the work for me. Here is what I did:

- Open Excel (duh)

- Set up my columns























 ABCDEFG
1DateDescriptionCredit (+)Debit (-)BalanceCleared the BankNote

- I started with the balance since that was the only cell that required a formula. I just used a simple SUM function. Type this in the function area for E2. =SUM(E1,C2-D2)



- Then drag the formula throughout the column. You can do this by placing your pointer at the lower-right-hand corner of the cell and then left-click and drag downward through

the column (you can tell you are at the right spot because the pointer will change).



- Then just fill in the other data for each transaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment