Monday, April 5, 2010

Zelda on N64: Was Navi That Bad?



There is a lot of discussion among gamers about the obnoxious fairy Navi from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.  To give a little background, Navi enters what I consider to be the best of the Zelda series early on in the game and helps Link to destroy the Hyrule baddies.  While most of what she has to offer is useless, it was nice to give Link a 'side kick' to help his lonely self along his adventures.

The problem wasn't that Navi was in the game and helping Link, the problem was the annoying and rather constant calling out of Navi to the gamer.  'Hey', 'hello', listen', over and over again like the incessant whining of a thirteen-year-old girl.  I best describe her as the Jar Jar Binks of the Zelda series, a character that had the potential of being a character of merit if the writers didn't decide to conform them into an annoyance.

But, am I too hard on Navi?  In hindsight, I didn't find her as annoying when I played through the game in college right after its release.  It was new and interesting to be able to hear a game's speech back in the late 90's.  It wasn't until the second time I played through it that she slowly started to wear on my nerves.  By halfway through I really wanted to choke Navi and put an end to her, 'hey, listen' existence.

It was overkill.  It was like Castlevania II and the whole night and day thing, really ingenuitive at first but after an hour or two made you want to go sit in a running car with the garage door tightly sealed.  It wasn't until years later that I realized that I wasn't alone in the hatred of Navi.  I guess it was one of the 'oops' moments in the Zelda series, seeing as it is apparent that the designers learned the error of their ways since Navi has not reared her annoying head since.  That being said, if you live in a cave and have never played Ocarina of Time, please do us all a favor and stop reading and get your ass on eBay and grab a copy.  You just may want to turn the volume down.

And if you really like to be in pain - take a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment