Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Why the ending of Super Mario Bros. 2 really pisses me off

I wrote a few months back about playing the real Super Mario Bros. 2 and discussed all of the Doki Doki Panic info and how the Japanese thought me and my kind (Americans or male...or...both) were not able to handle the intense SMB 2 action and instead gave us a watered down version, i.e. Doki Doki Panic (you can read all about it - http://geekyclown.com/?p=565).

I am happy to say that I did complete the original Super Mario Bros. 2 that was reportedly too difficult for me. After that, I still felt a little empty inside. To fill the void, I decided to fire up the American Super Mario Bros. 2 and work my way through it.

I'm not going to lie. SMB2 is not my favorite of the series. In fact, it probably is near the bottom. But, it is still not a bad game. It is like comparing one beer to another. Yeah, Old Style and Natural Light may not be my first choice at the bar, but if you bought me one, I surely would not turn it down.

I hadn't played it in close to two decades so much of it was new to me with moments of nostalgia. It's a cutesy (is that a word) game with some humorous quirks that make it fun. In hindsight, an absolute breeze when compared to the Japanese original SMB2. Really, couldn't they find a middle ground between the insane Japanese SMB2 and the watered down American SMB2?



It didn't take me long to beat the whole thing and even though the ice world did piss me off at times the real kicker for me was the ending. I slaved over a hot NES for what? For it to be worthless. A dream. I had forgotten all about the ending. Are you kidding me? I would rather hear that the Princess was in another castle. That would be more rewarding. What jack ass pitched this at the staff meeting? "Yeah, let's have the player who just took their time to work through this game, risking the damage of their controllers after they thrown them when they slide off the ice, having to commit suicide because they decided to be Toad in a world that you HAVE to be Luigi to make jumps, and be forced to succumb to being the Princess find out in the end, it was for nothing. Just a dream." Whoever you are, you cold hearted bastard, I hope you can find a way to live with yourself.

To the bar, who's going to buy me a Natty Light?

No comments:

Post a Comment