Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Now the Positive side of the 3DS - Kid Icarus: Uprising

Yesterday I talked begrudgingly about Nintendo's new 3DS and my thinking that 3-D gaming is more of a trend than anything more. Now that I have gotten that out of my system, Kid Icarus: Uprising looks like a title that will bring hardcore gamers into the trend quickly.

Nintendo historically has created systems that appease the entire family and gets slapped with a "not for true gamers" stigma. However, the 3DS is showing both Nintendo and third-party support for hardcore gamers. Kid Icarus: Uprising is just the beginning. But, a new Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid, with talks of games in the works with titles like Street Fighter, Madden, Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden, Assassin's Creed, Saint's Row among others - can Nintendo use this platform as a way to shake the cute, family oriented console brand and become an actual console aimed for the naysayers/"true gamers".

Will I be purchasing a 3DS? I don't know. I have a hard time believing I won't be seeing as I have owned every Nintendo console since the NES. I will have to see how the launch titles play out in 2-D to see if I am wasting my money (see yesterday's post - Is Nintendo Jumping on the 3-D Bandwagon Prematurely?). From the trailer below, it looks as though Kid Icarus: Uprising will play nicely in either 2-D or 3-D mode so I will have to wait and see. Take a peek.

No comments:

Post a Comment