Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - a Retro FAQ the way it should be

I liked Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.  I know that in the endless ocean of Internet video game reviews, I am in the minority, but I have a nostalgic fondness for it.  I played through it right after its release in 1988 and have played through it a few times after that through the years.  

But, it gets a lot of hell from reviewers.  The biggest complaint that I read is that the game is just too cryptic in what you are supposed to do and without the Internet or Nintendo Power, the gamer would never be able to figure it out.

I am not going to lie, I had Nintendo Power when I was a child.  I was privileged.  So, playing through Simon's Quest wasn't a real difficult chore for me.  I decided to make an FAQ for the haters.  But, I know that there are probably a thousand FAQs out there so I decided to do it right, show you how to cheat the way that I had to cheat.  Go through and read the magazines (and some pretty nifty illustrations) instead of just reading a text file.  

* Note: all magazine came from http://www.retromags.com.   

From the September/October 1988 Nintendo Power:














From November/December 1988 Nintendo Power:



From the January/February 1989, Nintendo Power:


From the March/April 1989, Nintendo Power:




From the August 1989, Electronic Gaming Monthly:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for uploading this! I'm sorry I couldn't enjoy CVII as much as you could ;)

    ReplyDelete