Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Is 'Duke Nukem Forever' the 'Phantom Menace' of Video Games?



I am not going to lie, when I heard about 'Duke Nukem Forever' being released, I was stoked - in 1997.  In the past fourteen years, it has been teased by multiple companies using multiple engines but its release has been to no avail.  This year, the big bomb dropped - Duke Nukem will be released finally and to show they aren't kidding, they had a playable demo to boot.

My inner-dork got really excited but my boy that cried wolf spideysense couldn't help but tingle a little.  They had teased a new Duke Nukem in 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2007, and now 2010.  My own cynicism may be my downfall but I have this sneaking suspicion that the game is going to be like 'The Phantom Menace' and never be able to outlive the hype.  Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't just hype that ruined 'The Phantom Menace' - that movie sucked so bad, I am surprised I didn't make an appearance in it at some point.  But, the hype didn't help.

I didn't get to PAX since every single video game event seems to be on the West coast so I have no idea if the demo was any good or not.  Supposedly we are to get one for players by December but we shall see.  So I will sit and hope.  Duke Nukem has a fan base of fanboys that is pretty hardcore so to disappoint them will more than likely ruin the series - kind of like how 'The Phantom Menace' ruined any chance of the original trilogy for Star Wars fans...

No comments:

Post a Comment