Friday, December 11, 2009

Use your PlayStation Controller on your PC for better Emulator Goodness

Join GeekyClown's Fan Page on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter
I will more than likely end up blogging on this little project often as I add to it.  I have an old XP laptop that I more or less have very little use for so I went ahead and took anything of any importance off of it, slapped on a fresh copy of ColdFusion server, and created a machine strictly for emulating video games.  I built a little management system and put all of the games into a database to keep track of which one's I played so that the most played games could be tracked on the front page and, since it was running off of ColdFusion, I could run the whole thing through Internet Explorer.

After several coding issues, another issue I had was that I got really sick of using PC based controllers for emulation.  Just didn't give me that video game feel - still felt like I was playing a computer game that looked like a console game.  I tried several different controllers and none of them did it for me.  Then I stumbled on a small piece of hardware that would take my old PlayStation 2 controllers and plug them into the USB of the computer.

Since it cost the whopping $1.99, I went ahead and picked one up.  Sure enough, plugged it right in and was ready to go.  There were no drivers to install, just worked right out of the package.  On top of that, it had some pretty good accuracy and the controls were good.  Not top notch and not like playing the console itself but really close.  NOTE: I have never played anything emulated that has the console feel and highly doubt I ever will.

In retrospect, a great buy and a recommendation for anyone who wants to play emulated games on their home machine.

Here is the one I use...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=playstation+to+usb+dual+controller&_sacat=0&_odkw=playstation+to+usb&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

No comments:

Post a Comment